Re: [patch, binutils] Patch elf/mips.h for -mfp64 support.

Jack Carter <Jack.Carter@imgtec.com> writes:
> [...]

I think Maciej's point was that we're already using PT_NOTE in the
standard way.  It's a different purpose because we're not using it
to replace ELF flag information, but it's still the standard way.

FWIW I don't think PT_NOTE is the best choice for what we're discussing
here though.  PT_NOTE a good way of adding nonstandard data, or data that
doesn't need to be examined for correct execution.  But here we're talking
about something that the loader really should look at.

I'd prefer we ate up one of the processor-specific headers instead
(i.e. PT_LOPROC + X for some X).  There's millions of those free,
so we're not likely to run out.  That would mean that the loader
would only need to search the header table, without any of the string
searches inherent in using PT_NOTE.

Thanks,
Richard