Re: preprocessor macro to identify binutils version?

Hi Burlen,

This is my first binutils foray. I'm making use of libbfd to provide
detailed stack trace in an app if it crashes. In testing I've found
systems[*] with older binutils where bfd_find_nearest_line segv's. I'd
like to configure my app to disable the stack trace feature on systems
with the older binutils. Is there a preprocessor macro that can be used
to idnetify the binutils release? if not what's the best way to
determine the binutils version?

The short answer is "no". :-(

You could try examining the __GNUC__, __GNUC_MINOR__ and __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__ preprocessor macros, on the assumption that older binutils are matched with older versions of gcc.

You could add a configure time option to the app to disable the stack trace and arrange for the configure scripts to automatically enable it for known "old" platforms.