LD link to memory instead of writing to file

Hi all,

I'm writing to ask if there is a way to write a linked program to memory rather than to a file using ld? I've taken a look through the source and ld appears to use BFD to write the final file. In BFD there was a flag that could be set to store the main BFD struct in memory however this caused a crash when I tried it with ld.

1. Is there some officially supported method within ld to write to memory?
2. If not, what would I need to modify in order to make this happen?

Thanks a lot.