Re: Only compress debug sections if this saves space

Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> writes:

>> This patch has now remained unreviewed for a week.
>
> Both H. J. and I suggested that you make the testcase large enough to
> guarantee that all debug sections would be compressed.

As I wrote before, I'm undecided how to deal with the testcase: at least
in gcc it's frowned upon to change existing testcases in major ways, but
you rather add new ones instead.  That said, I'm certainly willing to
either update the testcase or add a second one where all debug sections
do compress, but absent any indication that the general idea of the
patch is acceptible, I'd like to avoid spending more time on it just to
have it rejected.

> If you're going to just discard all the new frags created by the trial
> compression, I wonder if you should create those on a new obstack and
> then discard that obstack before returning? (I suppose any memory leak
> here would be minor, since the only time we'll choose not to use the
> compressed frags is when they're quite small.)

I wondered about this myself, but decided to just return from
compress_debug as several other already do.  I could change that if the
savings are considered worthwhile.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University