Re: archive of archives

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM, NightStrike <nightstrike@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> wrote:
>>> $ x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar  cru liba.a libb.a
>>> $ x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib liba.a
>>>
>>> The resulting liba.a doesn't work too well:
>>>
>>> $ x86_64-w64-mingw32-nm liba.a
>>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-nm: liba.a: File format not recognized
>>>
>>> ..and other failures.
>>>
>>> Should the above work, though?  Alan just kindly fixed a bug that let
>>> objdump correctly tell me what's inside liba.a, so presumably it's a
>>> supported thing to do.  Am I out in left field, though?
>>
>> No, it's not supposed to work. You can only nest archives with the thin
>> archive option (T). Otherwise, you're just building an archive of ordinary
>> files, not a library.
>
> Darn.  Ok, thanks for the quick reply.

Cary,

Could you take a look at this:
http://mingw-w64.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw-w64/trunk/mingw-w64-crt/Makefile.am?view=markup

Line 1057

We use an MRI linker script to combine 3 libX.a files into a single
libZ.a file.  It seems to work.  Based on what you are saying, are we
doing something that will not be supported in the future?  Can you
explain why this method works, yet what I describe at the beginning of
this thread does not work?

The MRI script is here:
http://mingw-w64.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mingw-w64/trunk/mingw-w64-crt/lib64/vfw32.mri?view=markup

And is short: