Re: bfd and cygpath

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM, NightStrike <nightstrike@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Peter Rosin <peda@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>> On 2013-04-23 16:12, NightStrike wrote:
>
>>> I can't find it in upstream libtool, though, so can somebody update
>>> libtool again?
>>
>> The only code branch in libtool.m4 that in the past did set the
>> fix_srcfile_path variable can only be entered if libtool thinks
>> that GNU ld is not in use.
>>
>> In libtool.m4, near the start of _LT_LINKER_SHLIBS, we have
>>
>>   case $host_os in
>>   cygwin* | mingw* | pw32* | cegcc*)
>>     # FIXME: the MSVC++ port hasn't been tested in a loooong time
>>     # When not using gcc, we currently assume that we are using
>>     # Microsoft Visual C++.
>>     if test yes != "$GCC"; then
>>       with_gnu_ld=no
>>     fi
>>     ;;
>>
>> So, either "$GCC" is not "yes", or with_gnu_ld ends up "no"
>> somewhere else, otherwise you can't hit the below code branch.
>
> Thank you for this analysis!  Do you think setting the --with-gnu-ld
> configure option will do the trick?  (I'm using gnu ld)
>
> I'll try it now and see what happens.

At first crack, --with-gnu-ld does nothing to change the outcome.
We're still trying to use cygpath and getting a cygpath not found
error instead of using $(CYGPATH_W), which is still set to echo.

Interestingly, with_gnu_ld="no" still appears in the bfd/libtool
script.  Does the --with-gnu-ld option not do what I think it does?