bfd_check_format() returns 0

Hello,

i'm trying to play agin with my little Windows pet project (a mem leak
checker) called 'examine. It uses DLL injection to inject my
overloading allocation functions. The name of the test_program is
examine_test.exe. I call examine like that :

examine /path/to/examine_test.exe

I'm on Windows 7 64 bits. I've compiled binutils and my project with
mingw-w64, targetting 64 bits (using MSYS).

What I want to achieve is getting the lines where, e.g., malloc is
called in the binary i want to check (examine_test.exe).

I have that code :

sw->fd = bfd_openr(filename, NULL);   // filename is the full path
name of examine_test.exe
res = bfd_check_format(sw->fd, bfd_object);

res is equal to 0.

I know that, on win XP 32 bits, with an older binutils, this function
didn't return 0.

Did I do something wrong ?

Thank you

Vincent Torri