Re: Issue Tracker Used? Git migration checklist.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Fred Cooke <fred.cooke@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There is nothing wrong with doing that, it just won't help.
>
> So you're saying that I should give up and leave this thread here as a
> warning for other hopeful souls to also not bother?
>
> I can't see how it can not help. Any action requires some sort of game
> plan. And provided it's sufficiently distributed and fragmented, you
> keep a barrier to entry up. Perhaps that's what some want? I doubt all
> want it, though. A clear "what's needed" collated in ONE place in a
> readable format with ordering almost can't not help. It identifies the
> first step, whatever it may be. That first step is currently drowned
> in a barrel of a thousand unordered steps, which in-crowders know
> about, and the order of, but anyone else wanting to help is powerless
> to find out about.

Creating a task list is a great start if you then start executing the
tasks.  But creating a task list and not proceeding to execute them
won't help because things change.  If somebody decides to tackle the
job a year from now, they will have to revisit the whole thing anyhow.

I guess I shouldn't say that it won't help at all.  It will a help a
little, in that it will provide yet another starting place for that
hypothetical person a year from now.  But it won't help very much.
It's not the hard part of the problem.

Ian