Re: 2.22.1 Possible -> Yes!

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:07:15AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> Gentoo used to but found them too unstable.  so once the GNU releases started
> picking up, we stopped relying on his snapshots.

HJ's snapshots are binutils trunk + some HJ patches.  One person
decides when to release, and works on stabilising that release.  The
entire binutils team ought to do better, don't you think?  Well, at
least there's some chance we will!

> i also don't think Redhat is a good example considering they have a full time
> team working on making the releases actually stable, and this:
>  58 files changed, 19467 insertions(+), 7295 deletions(-), 67 modifications(!)
> granted, some of those are Fedora-specific or in-development patches, but that
> does not install confidence that the vanilla hjlu releases are ready for prime
> time.

Wrong conclusion.  99.9% of those changes have nothing to do with the
stability of the H.J.Lu base version.  They are mostly backports of
mainline binutils bug fixes and features demanded by RedHat customers.
I know because I've just been looking at rhel6.3 for things powerpc
that might be needed, and did some major backports for rhel earlier on
this year.  (Not because I like doing backports, but because RedHat
are a big enough distro that IBM wants their powerpc support to be
good.)  I obviously can't do that for all the distros out there.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM