Re: 2.22.1 Possible -> Yes!

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 08:58:34PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 26 April 2012 20:39:11 Alan Modra wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 03:29:22PM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> > > Ok, I will make a 2.22.1 release.
> >
> > I don't know why we bother with branches.  We just fool users into
> > thinking that the branches are live, when really, not much activity
> > takes place on binutils branches.
>
> bugfixes get applied to the branches ... what more activity should there be ?

Most bugfixes *don't* get applied to the branch.  Take a look at
change logs if you disbelieve.  Typically you get a flurry of activity
during the time from a branch being cut to the release (even that is
wasted developer time, applying patches to both trunk and branch),
then very little activity after the release.  That makes the 2.22
branch on major targets, at this point in time, quite inferior to
trunk.

> > > If anyone has patches to backport, please speak up.
> >
> > The 2.22 branch doesn't even build with current gcc.
>
> by "current" you mean 4.7.x ?  or trunk ?

By current, I mean compilers used by some distros.  In my case, 4.6.1.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM