Re: 2.22.1 Possible

Hi,

On Apr 26, 2012, at 4:10 AM, Fred Cooke wrote:

> Is there any reason why such significant things didn't go into 2.22.1
> and 2.22.2 and so on as they were found and resolved? (with matching
> ports to trunk, of course)

Backporting to the branch is done on request of the maintainers or the patch submitter.
I think this is a very sane and safe approach, and was the tradition.

> Is the release process quite cumbersome?

It takes time, and I have to fit it in my calendar.

> or
> is there a concern for flooding downstreams with too many releases? or
> what?

In anycase, I don't think we want too many releases.  I think that one yearly major release and
one minor release within the next 6 months makes sense.  At binutils is free software, anyone can
build the release branch or the trunk.

> In any case, +1 for a patch release if there are known good tested
> fixes in the branch ready and waiting.

In any cases, I do a full check before each release.

> Excuse my curiosity!

You're welcome,

Tristan.