Fred> I'd almost always favour the former approach given the choice. I
Fred> wonder, how do the people who matter on this list feel about the two
Fred> options? (In mid-2012, not historically)

#2 is my choice.
I still consider Joseph's note the gold standard.

Fred> Although it's going to be a lot of work to get done, the end result is
Fred> _very_ clearly worth it, and pushing it back further just hurts the
Fred> project, as a whole. Is it time to (actually) get serious about
Fred> getting serious?

I see it not as a question of attitude but of time, motivation and
stamina.

If you are volunteering I will get you the access you need to get
started.  I guess that would be the CVS history and post-commit scripts
at least.  You can really do a lot of the work without anything special.

Tom