Re: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

> Note there's nothing I'm planning to do, nor I should do, in this regard:
> the two setups described above are both already supported by the current
> automake implementation (but the last one is not encouraged, even though
> it makes perfect sense in some *rare* situations).  I was just pointing
> out that you have to choose one of these setups -- so, if you want to
> distribute info files, you must accept to have them build in the srcdir.

The approach used in GCC, for example in the libquadmath directory, is a
--enable-generated-files-in-srcdir configure option that is used when
building a release tarball - so normally the files go in the build
directory, but a special configuration is used to put them in the source
directory only when building releases.  (This does not involve the
"cygnus" option.)  I think support for that seems more generically useful
(and it makes sense to me for automake to look at features used in other
packages' configure/build systems, that aren't inherently specific to
those packages, and try to provide generic versions of them).

The Binutils/GDB release tarball building process is substantially
different and I'm not familiar with it.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com