Re: [patch] ld: optimize vfinfo output slightly

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> The warn_unused_result attribute in gcc was designed for the realloc
> function, where it is truly an error to ignore the result.  It is
> absolutely not an error to ignore the result of fwrite; after all, it's
> perfectly reasonable to use ferror.  It was a serious misunderstanding
> for anybody to attach the warn_unused_result attribute to fwrite.  This
> misunderstanding was made even more serious by somebody deciding that it
> would be a good idea to have a compiler that defaults to defining
> _FORTIFY_SOURCE.
>
> So now we are in an absurd and painful situation, and there is no
> consensus on how to get out of it.

Test the patch attached to glibc bug 11959 with current sources, write a
ChangeLog entry for it and submit to libc-alpha to try to get consensus
there.  I consider this to be a glibc bug that should be fixed in glibc.
(Once fixed in glibc, it would be reasonable for GCC to have a fixincludes
fix for the older buggy versions of glibc headers.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com