This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Add compiler and linker hardening after the fact
- From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail dot com>
- To: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:30:48 -0400
- Subject: Add compiler and linker hardening after the fact
- Reply-to: noloader at gmail dot com
I'm working on a system which includes binaries (not source code)
which do not utilize hardening techniques such as -z,relro -z,now,
-z,noexecstack, -znoexecheap, and -fPIE.
Does Binutils offer a tool to set the relevant bits (assuming the
binary is not signed nor integrity checked)? I'm not sure what needs
to be done for RELRO, NOW and PIE. I know -z,noexecstack, -znoexecheap
need new sections added for PT_GNU_STACK and PT_GNU_HEAP markings (and
no-exec heaps might not be available).