This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] MIPS/BFD: Fix assertions with SGI IRIX files
- From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:04:07 +0100 (BST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] MIPS/BFD: Fix assertions with SGI IRIX files
- References: <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> >> A patch to remove the assertions is pre-approved if you agree that's OK.
> > OK, but are you positive that'll be no regression?
> This is binutils. You can never be positive that a patch won't break
> something. But the handling of SHN_MIPS_DATA and SHN_MIPS_TEXT isn't
> written in an SGI-specific way (just as the handling of the other
> SHN_MIPS_* sections isn't written in an SGI-specific way). I couldn't see,
> and still can't see, a reason why removing the assertions is wrong.
OK, this is good enough a justification for me, thanks for investigating.
I meant any improper handling within BFD itself of course. I'll make that
change and push it at my earliest convenience. It may take a couple of