Re: [Bug ld/12565] NOLOAD sections empty

Hi Doug,

The ARM linux kernel also uses NOLOAD.

Do you know if this entirely for .bss style sections, or maybe for establishing a region of memory mapped hardware or I/O ports ?

The point I am interested in is if we changed the current behaviour of NOLOAD so that it *did* preserve the contents of any input sections (if those contents were non-zero) would this break anything ? I am pretty certain that it would, so I am not going to create a patch to make this change. But I do wonder if there any applications out there that are relying upon NOLOAD to actually get rid of the contents of input sections.