Re: symbol size as function size

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:01:49 +0930, Alan Modra wrote:

> Again, this boils down to the same thing, needed a special class of
> symbol.  If I were implementing this feature I would not use global
> symbols containing size info.  Instead
>
> a) Invent an assembler syntax that allows access to ELF symbol size,
>    "sum@size" perhaps.  (I'm assuming this is ELF only.)  "sum" would
>    not even need to be a defined symbol, it could be external.
> b) Arrange for the assembler to emit a relocation on uses of
>    "sum@size", R_XXX_SIZE against symbol "sum".
> c) Teach the linker relaxation functions to update ELF symbol size,
>    and add processing of the new relocation.

Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind. In the meantime Nick
suggested a different approach. Using md_allow_local_subtract. I will be
looking at it to see if I can do it this was (seems a lot more
straightforward) and default back to yours if I get blocked by something.

Cheers,

--
PMatos