This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Change bfd_link_hash_entry.type to a bitfield?
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:55:24 -0700
- Subject: Re: Change bfd_link_hash_entry.type to a bitfield?
- References: <20110421015734.GM19947@bubble.grove.modra.org>
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Alan Modra <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> How do people feel about poking some flags into bfd_link_hash_entry?
> This can be done without increasing the size of the struct, since
> "type" is an unsigned int but only needs 3 bits. ?The negative side is
> that hosts without efficient byte read access will see a linker
> slowdown. ?"type" is the most used field of bfd_link_hash_entry.
> On the positive side, this would allow the linker lto plugin code to
> lose a potentially very large symbol hash table. ?Also, other fields
> from elf_link_hash_entry and coff_link_hash_entry could move into
> bfd_link_hash_entry, reducing the size of the linker hash table.
I like it,