Re: Sun/Oracle C++ compiler patch

Hi Chris,

I'm not really sure that the "ONLY_IF_RW" in the linker script maps onto
the sh_flags field having the SHF_WRITE bit turned on in the section
header table.  Could you confirm that?

It does.

Currently our exception range sections are writable, but I haven't been
able to confirm that's necessary because of fixups by the C++ runtime
system. If it's not necessary or if we change it later, it would be
nice if the linker didn't need more modification.

Agreed.

Is there any harm in allowing the same behavior if our sections later
become read-only?

None.

.gcc_except_table ${RELOCATING-0} : ONLY_IF_RO { *(.gcc_except_table
.gcc_except_table.*) }
+ .exception_ranges ${RELOCATING-0} : ONLY_IF_RO { *(.exception_ranges
.exception_ranges*) }

.gcc_except_table ${RELOCATING-0} : ONLY_IF_RW { *(.gcc_except_table
.gcc_except_table.*) }
+ .exception_ranges ${RELOCATING-0} : ONLY_IF_RW { *(.exception_ranges
.exception_ranges*) }

The patch looks OK to me, and so I have checked it in along with this changelog entry. I did take Tristan's suggestion however and so I added a comment explaining where the .exception_ranges section originates.

ld/ChangeLog
2011-04-11  Chris Quenelle  <chris.quenelle@oracle.com>

* scripttempl/elf.sc (.exception_ranges): Add new section.