Re: Section symbols not getting created. Bug? Is attached patch correct fix?

On 2011-04-06 08:16, John Marino wrote:
Secondly there are numerous __start_* __stop_* in several modules, so to
   individually declare each one in the command line would tiresome and
error prone.  It is intentional that these sections are unused, but
referenced externally by the DragonFly loader.

In FreeBSD, where we just recently updated to 2.17.50 (the last GPLv2 version), we solved this by adding ".globl __start_xxx, __stop_xxx" statements to the macro that defines the linker sets, e.g:

http://svn.freebsd.org/changeset/base/215137

This forces the linker to always emit the symbols, and should work even
with stock binutils.