This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Section symbols not getting created. Bug? Is attached patch correct fix?
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: John Marino <binutils at marino dot st>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:54:36 -0700
- Subject: Re: Section symbols not getting created. Bug? Is attached patch correct fix?
- References: <4D9B6F4F.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM, John Marino <email@example.com> wrote:
> DragonFly BSD has moved to Binutils 2.21 from 2.17 for its upcoming release.
> ?During the transition an anomaly was seen, and the cause was traced back to
> missing __start_set and __end_set symbols within a generated file. ?It
> appeared that lang_insert_orphan function was silently discarding the
> section label symbols due to being assigned the "dot" (the origin).
> It appears that exp_provide() function used there discards the symbols
> assigned "." and exp_assign() function does not. ?The following patch was
> used to restore the section label generation.
> Did DragonFly discover a previously unknown bug?
> Is this patch the correct approach to restore these missing section labels?
Please try binutils in CVS to see if the problem has been fixed. If not,
please open a bug report with a testcase.