This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Fix linker plugin support for gnu linker
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:20:41 -0800
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Fix linker plugin support for gnu linker
- References: <20110105155220.GA26924@intel.com> <email@example.com>
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> "H.J. Lu" <email@example.com> writes:
>> This patch fixes linker plugin support for gnu linker with 2 stage
>> linking and supports mixed LTO objects:
> For the record, I repeat my objections to 2 stage linking and suggest
> instead implementing my alternate approach described here:
While I consider that is a hack, I don't object it since it
can co-exist with 2 stage linking. Gold can implement
your approach and I will keep 2 stage linking in bfd linker
in the Linux binutils.
With 2 stage linking, everything just works. It works
with the current and future GCC. It does require an extra
pass. But the first pass is simple and the second pass is
very straight forward. The additional linker time only takes a
very small percentage in the whole LTO linking process.