Re: "ld -r" on mixed IR/non-IR objects (

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:

> On 12/07/2010 04:20 PM, Andi Kleen wrote:
>>
>> The only problem left is mixing of lto and non lto objects. this right
>> now is not handled. IMHO still the best way to handle it is to use
>> slim lto and then simply separate link the "left overs" after deleting
>> the LTO objects. This can be actually done with objcopy (with some
>> limitations), doesn't even need linker support.
>>

> Quite possibly a better way to deal with that is to provide a mechanism
> for encapsulating arbitrary binary code objects inside the LTO IR.

And when we use a special section name, using an unprintable name is
needlessly painful and will make it hard to play convenient games with
objcopy.  Just use a printable name starting with .gnu.

(This assumes that we do need a special section, rather than, say, a
note.)

Ian