Re: PATCH: Generate compressed DWARF debug info in .debug* sections

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> wrote:
>> OK. ?Can the new .zdebug sections can be either compressed or
>> uncompressed?
>
> No, the "z" means that the section is compressed. The canonical name
> means that the section is uncompressed. In gold, we mark a compressed
> input section as compressed and rename it to its canonical name early
> on. When we compress output sections, we then rename them by adding
> the "z".

For --compress-debug-sections, the section name is selected when
the section is created. If we decide not to compress it since the
compressed size is bigger than the uncompressed one, I am not
sure if it is too late for objcopy to change section name.

--
H.J.