Re: Support Sun extensions in readelf?

David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> writes:

> I think this would be great, and if you want I can help you
> with some of this work.

Excellent, thanks for the offer.  I'll be reading the Linker and
Libraries Guide front-to-back in the future, and will take notes what to
add to readelf.  Depending on what I need most during my GCC work, I'll
look into implementing the necessary support.

> There are even some features Sun's ELF has that the GNU
> tools might want to support at some point, such as the
> data section compression bits which are primarily targetted
> at fortran programs.
>
> So it really can't hurt to add detection and reporting of
> these ELF features to at least readelf.

Indeed: in the past, GNU binutils have added several features invented
by Sun (like symbol versioning), and there's no reason this has to stop :-)

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University