Re: RFA/RFC: Enable both gold and ld in a single toolchain

On 09.03.2010 10:28, Nick Clifton wrote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the feedback on my original patch. Attached below
is a revised version in which I have tried to take into account all of
the suggestions that were made.

H.J. - I apologise for forgetting that you had already submitted a patch
that does basically the same thing as my patch. I have adopted most of
the ideas from your patch into this revised version, but with a few
changes:

* I named the BFD based linker "gld" rather than "ld.bfd". I thought
that this was more intuitive, and it also matches how the linker is
referred in various bits of documentation.

please don't. the gld name is already used in the binary namespace (although it's in /usr/sbin).
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=gld&mode=path&suite=unstable&arch=any

Not sure how many distributions already did use H.J's patch, but at least Debian and Ubuntu will keep these names from this patch for the next release.

Matthias