Re: Remove config.cache files when reconfiguring at top level

Hi Andreas,

Ah - I did not know that users would ever modify the cache files.

That's the only way to override cross-compile defaults in target libraries.

Hmm, I feel that there ought to be a better way to do that, but OK.

I would like to make the command line option to preserve the config.cache files opt-in, (ie the files are deleted unless this option is enabled as the configure script is run). The reason being that I think that most users would expect a:

  configure <new-flags>
  make distclean
  make

sequence to just work without needing any extra configure options. So I would propose adding a:

--preserve-caches

option. Is that OK with you ?