Option -static

Also Ian, enlight me on this one:

Suppose someone pass -static flag on gold asking it basically to look
for and preferred static libraries over shared ones.
Now assume that some system libraries are no available in static form only
as shared ones. At the moment gold will just stop with a fatal error
during the linking. That as the default behaviour.

I think what the gold linker should do instead is look and link a static
library, if available and can be found, otherwise still pick the dynamic
object and preferably print a warning!
Correct me if I am wrong but this was the GNU linker's default behaviour
and I think in any case that gold should behave similarly.
Any thoughts?

Kind Regards,