Re: What does the linker do with a shared library?

Ian,

Thanks for the information.  It doesn't really address all the things
a linker does when it processes a shared library.  You only mention
adding entries to the GOT and PLT (unless I missed something).

Aside from creating entries in the dynamic section (for which I
understand the big picture, but I expect I'm missing some details),
what else is done?

I believe I read that, until fairly recently, the linker was updating the
symbol size of UNDEF symbols in the executable (which are supposed to
always be zero) with the size of a function found in a shared library
(using the shared library's symbol table).

  Michael