Re: Hiding symbols in a static library

On Sep 27, 2009, at 04:00, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
If it's OK to use ld -r instead of building an archive, then it may
work to use ld -r with --retain-symbols-file.

Can ld output a static library? I've read the ld man page and I didn't
find any mention of static libraries as an output.

It can output a single object file, which your user can either then link directly into the application, or (if your user *really* needs an archive library for some reason) pass to "ar" to generate a new archive library with one member, or fold into some other archive library being built as part of the application, etc.

Ken