What does the linker do with a shared library?

I'm trying to find some detailed information on exactly what the linker does
when it processes a shared library (for ELF systems).

At the minimum, it sticks the name of the library in the dynamic section,
but I'm not sure if it needs to do anything else.

Is this described in detail anywhere (or do I have to grovel through
the source)?

Thanks,

  Michael