Re: RFA/RFC: Pass --cache-file=/dev/null on to subconfigures

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Yes.  Unless you have actively changed any precious variables, they
> should not be inconsistent and the cache should not be invalidated.
> Can you please provide me with a recipe to reproduce this (this might
> be difficult to do) or otherwise circumstances when it happens, and post
> the full error message?

I've seen it happen -- building gdb/insight which is part of the src
tree if not gcc specfically -- when a precious variable contained a
leading space. I think it was because the top-level configure
automatically augmented it as follows, when the var was originally empty:

  X="$X --some-new-flag"

For some reason, the sub-configure had the variable without the leading
space, so it complained of a mismatch.

Sorry I don't have more details, but I don't have the build log anymore
so I'm going by memory here. (I wasn't overriding the --cache-val in any
way).

--
Chuck