Re: elf->srec link vs string merging

> Issuing a warning seems useless as there is nothing the user can do
> about it.

My thought was, if we had a choice between silently doing the wrong
thing and noisily doing nothing, choose the latter.  I'm just not sure
how to do that cleanly; the alternative is to modify each ELF backend
to check.

> Actually I think that using objcopy is simple enough.

That was what I told the person who tripped over this bug.

> The only reason that gold generates binary format is because the
> Linux kernel build uses it.  Given that gold generates binary, it
> would be straightforward to add support for S-records or Intel hex.

S-rec is still useful when using chip-specific programmers; not all of
them support ELF but they all seem to support S-rec.  However, objcopy
solves that problem.