profiling question

Dear all,

I have a got the C/C++ source code of a domain-specific scripting language, which is installed using the make-make install process.
This works without problem.
I would like to use this language to calculate some specific example given
in a tutorial for it, but also some modification, which is not yet coded
in C/C++ (the license permits to redistribute and change the code freely) -
I'd have to do this myself.

The modification would represent some theoretical modification of the
computation and should reduce space time and/or storage needs in a specific setting. Also, the original domain-specific scripting language makes use of many external libraries, such as a plotting program, which I won't need here.

Is it possible to use gprof as a tool, maybe by changing the Makefile of
the package, that would show me which (compiled versions) of the source files are actually used if I start my scripting language for calculations,
and how long the calculation lasts, maybe also how much storage space
it requires?
I would want to gather the corresponding source files, tinker with them
separately to see where the biggest bottlenecks lie.

If yes, how would I proceed, i.e., what would I have to change in the Makefile or elsewhere ?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Axel