Re: bfd patch for gdb cross-debugging support

On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 16:52 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Danny Backx <danny.backx@scarlet.be> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 09:08 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> >> Aside from API issues, I will note that using a global variable is not
> >> an ideal choice when BFD is compiled as a shared library.
> >
> > You're implying that I extend some existing data structure with a field.
> > Is this structure the "struct bfd" ?
>
> No, sorry, I'm implying that you should use a static variable with a
> function API.  Much as you understood before.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> (There is nothing wrong with global or static variables referenced only
> within a shared library.  Having the main program refer to a global
> variable defined in a shared library works, but has various issues I
> won't go into here.  The latter is best avoided when possible.)

Ok. Here is a next version of my work.

I'm showing this early so I don't go too far in the wrong direction,
it's not finished.

I've not been overly ambitious, just cleaned up most of the
HAVE_DOS_BASED_FILE_SYSTEM stuff. There may be code to be merged from
all the places where the filesystem prefix ("A:") is taken into account.

Comments please.

	Danny
--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info