Hooking in C and the GCC

Hi!,
while developing, I came across several difficulties that made me think
I need to solve them by using hooks. I don't have a deep knowledge of
hooking in C and how GCC interacts with it.
If anyone of you has experience with hooking, can you advice me about
what to seek on the internet or books to read about it?.

Thank you very much,
Nacho