Re: Binutils 2.20 release schedule.

On Sep 1, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Dave Korn wrote:

Tristan Gingold wrote:
Hi,

as summer is traditionally the period for binutils major release, it's
time to speak about 2.20.
The proposed schedule is:

* The 2.20 branch 2.20 is created around September 1st, as well as a
first snapshot.

* The first release is planned for end September.

I have just this moment spotted a bug in the PE-targeted linker's
auto-import feature; it interacts badly with GCC hot/cold partitioning. For
auto-import to work, the .text section has to be made writeable in the
executable image, but (presumably due to some limiation of a pattern or
substring match somewhere) this doesn't happen to the .text.unlikely section.
This has only just been made visible by a very recently added testcase in the
g++ testsuite.

Should be fairly trivial to fix, by which I mean "take me a couple of hours
to come up with a patch, starting from now". If you weren't rushing to cut
the branch first thing this morning, I'd like to try and get it checked-in
first just to save me having to apply it twice, but don't change your schedule
on my account; this note is just a headsup to let you know what's going on.

You can commit.
I think I will slightly delay the branch creation as the current activity is high.

Thanks,
Tristan.