Re: PATCH: PR gas/10531: Strange assembler warning message on section group

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 18:20 -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> I didn't see the problem with my icc, using the patched
> assembler. Can you provide main.s compiled by your icc?

I haven't tried your patch yet, I will have to do that.  I don't see how
it fixes the problem of emitting unnecessary debug info though.  All it
seems to do is change what section the unnecessary debug info goes into.

In an unpatched assembler, when I step through dwarf2_finish, I see that
it calls out_debug_line to populate the debug_line section, except that
this .s file already has a fully populated debug_line section.  So we
end up with two copies of debug_line info in a single debug_line
section, which is not good.  The second copy seems to be harmless, in
that it doesn't seem to confuse the debugger because there is no
debug_info section pointing at it.  However, it does increase the size
of the debug info, and size of dwarf2 debug info is an issue in many
places, so we shouldn't be emitting useless debug info.

I can send you some files in private mail that demonstrate the problems
that I am seeing.

Jim