Re: [gold] "entry in mergeable string section not null terminated"

> /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: error: /home/peter/g/trunk/host/source/src/ApplicationComponents/AnatomicProgram/libApplicationComponents_AnatomicProgram-debug.a(APr.o): entry in mergeable string section not null terminated
> [... a lot more of those errors in other object files]
>
> This is with gold as /usr/bin/ld. If I use regualar ld, the link proceeds as intented.
> What is it supposed to tell me?

Certain sections in your relocatable object files contain read-only
string data; the linker tries to optimize the size of your executable
by merging these sections together and eliminating any duplicate
strings. For that to work, each section marked as a mergeable string
section (one with the flags SHF_MERGE and SHF_STRINGS set) must
consist entirely of null-terminated strings, one after the other, so
that the linker can find each individual string.

This error message is telling you that it found a section marked with
SHF_MERGE and SHF_STRINGS, but that the section didn't end with a
null. If you can gzip your archive
libApplicationComponents_AnatomicProgram-debug.a and send it to me,
I'll take a look and see if I can spot the problem. I'm not sure if
the gnu linker is more tolerant, or if it just wasn't trying to do the
constant merging optimization.

-cary