Re: Should binutils source tree include zlib source?

H.J. Lu wrote:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Dave Korn
<dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
H.J. Lu wrote:
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Dave Korn
<dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
H.J. Lu wrote:
Hi,

Binutils uses zlib. Should zlib source be included in binutils tree?

 Can't see any terribly good reason to.  It's widely available as a standard
system library, we aren't in any need of forking it, and it would add to the
binutils project's maintenance/support burden, wouldn't it?

Zlib source is included in gcc source tree. It is useful for
cross binutils.
 Well, I guess I don't get it (cross and native binutils both use the host
zlib after all, or are you talking about including it for building a target
library?), but I won't object if you think it could be useful.  It's not like
it gets updated upstream very often, after all.

I have Canadian cross binutils where host != build != target.

Using this logic, we should include glibc (and perhaps uClibc) in the binutils tree as well.

David Daney