Re: Porting Binutils

Hi Kumar,

I want to port GCC and binutils for a MIPS based processor.

I was able to complete basic compiler port by referring to GCC
internals and MIPS port.

Can you please give a brief introduction on how to start porting binutils.

A very similar process is used for creating a binutils port:

Start with the existing MIPS port and add code to handle the variant you are interested in. Have a look at the files: gas/config/tc-mips.c, bfd/elfxx-mips.c and opcodes/mips-opc.c. (There are others, but these three are a good starting point).

You will also need to extend the configuration files to recognise your particular target and allow you to build a toolchain for your processor.

If you have questions the first place to look is the source code, but do please feel free to post to this list as well.