Re: "unknown relocation" error loading linux kernel modules

On Friday 19 December 2008, Roberto Gordo Saez wrote:
> Hi. I built a toolchain for ARM cross compilation target. The toolchain
> works as expected with binutils 2.18. Then I've replaced binutils with
> the newer 2.19 version, while maintaining the other components
> unchanged (same gcc, glibc...). The resulting toolchain can be used to
> build executables, but a Linux kernel built with it is unable to load
> kernel modules always giving this error: "unknown relocation: 40".

This is a kernel bug. It needs to be taught about the R_ARM_V4BX relocation.

It you're using a v5 or later core this also indicates that your build system
is broken, and you're using the wrong compiler flags. R_ARM_V4BX is only
generated on v4t code.

Paul