"unknown relocation" error loading linux kernel modules

Hi. I built a toolchain for ARM cross compilation target. The toolchain
works as expected with binutils 2.18. Then I've replaced binutils with
the newer 2.19 version, while maintaining the other components
unchanged (same gcc, glibc...). The resulting toolchain can be used to
build executables, but a Linux kernel built with it is unable to load
kernel modules always giving this error: "unknown relocation: 40".

If I go back to binutils 2.18, rebuild the toolchain and compile the
linux kernel, everything is OK again. I'm not sure if this is a bug in
binutils or some other component, but I report it here since a change
to an older version of binutils solves the issue.

I'm willing to try intermediate versions to help locate the changeset
responsible of this issue, if you want.