Re: COMMITTED: Add support for STT_IFUNC

>> I would suggest no one deploy this until we have some idea of who
>> designed it and who plans to support it... Like Cary, I thought that
>> the generic-abi mailing list was the de facto home for ELF
>> standardization.  If no one else on the binutils list has seen it,
>> then it seems likely to me that most non-Linux stakeholders have
>> not either; this could be incompatible with already deployed
>> systems.
>
> Of course, the teeth of this argument have been pulled as I did not
> notice it was STT_LOOS.  GNU binutils doesn't even know of any other
> uses of STT_LOOS at present; HPPA uses STT_LOOS + 1 and STT_LOOS + 2.

Yes, this does make it different; I hadn't noticed that it was a
vendor extension either. Nevertheless, changes like this used to take
place on the gABI list for consideration as a general feature rather
than a vendor extension. And in fact I have found myself wanting a
feature like this in the past. So perhaps this could benefit from an
open discussion that might lead to an extension to the gABI that
everyone could use.

-cary