Re: strip & nop relocs

Alan Modra wrote:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:50:01PM +0000, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
Alan Modra wrote:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:59:24AM +0000, Nathan Sidwell wrote:
        /* This case can occur when using --strip-symbol on a symbol
! 	 which is used in a relocation entry.  Some compilers use
!          this to link code to debug sections.  It's only a problem if
!          the symbol is in an allocatable section, so complain then.  */
Haven't you just broken the link you are talking about?  Why is that
not a problem?
You're stripping the debug sections out of the object. Currently that fails because of this dangling link. the user wants that link broken, because they're explicitly removing the debug sections. The patch makes it not an error.

Is there some other case you're concerned about?

No, I just wanted to understand how this situation came about. I think the real bug is in strip. We have code there to remove relocs, but only for STRIP_ALL. Wouldn't it be better to remove any reloc against a symbol in a stripped section?

I don't really mind. I'm mindful of users stripping out needed sections and silently ending up with a busted object. But, I guess if you're stripping sections it's implicit that you know what you're doing :)

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell    ::   http://www.codesourcery.com   ::         CodeSourcery