Re: [rfc] declaring new object format "FDPIC ELF"

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:49:58PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> what i have a problem with is this:
>  - bfin-uclinux-{gcc,as,ld} produces elf without users having to do anything
>  - bfin-linux-uclibc-{gcc,ld} produces fdpic without users having to do
> anything
>  - bfin-linux-uclibc-as produces elf if user doesnt do anything which means
> any linking steps bombs out with ugly/confusing binary format mismatches
>  - if you want to execute bfin-linux-uclibc-as directly, you need to
> explicitly specify "-mfdpic"

I see.  My personal feeling is to not care about this.  We tell all our
users (and our IDE) to assemble files using the GCC driver; this keeps
all configuration in one place and everything works like a charm.

Interesting, you use fdpic for full Linux too?  We have only been
looking at it for uClinux so far, but of course SH has a working PIC
model already and I don't know if FRV/bfin do besides FDPIC.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery