This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: New ELF linker code added to GNU binutils
- From: "Will Newton" <will dot newton at gmail dot com>
- To: "Ian Lance Taylor" <iant at google dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:54:18 +0000
- Subject: Re: New ELF linker code added to GNU binutils
- References: <email@example.com>
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> At the moment gold has only one significant advantage over the
> existing linker: it is faster. On large C++ programs, I have measured
> it as running five times faster.
This new linker sounds interesting, but I'm not sure as someone who
maintains a binutils port what's in it for me. ;-)
Is it designed just to be faster or are there other new features
planned? Should I consider doing a port of gold to my target? At the
moment not linking Linux is a showstopper for me, but I would imagine
that will be fixed in time.