Re: Bug: Core dump in elf32-arm.c:3858:bfd_elf32_arm_vfp11_fix_veneer_locations arm-elf-ld 2.18

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
>  > I can use the -B,--binary-architecture option to objcopy to suppress
>  > this warning:
>  > $ arm-elf-objcopy -Ibinary -Oelf32-littlearm -Barm data data.o
>  > but since the data file does not contain ARM instructions, using -Barm
>  > does not seem the right solution.
>
>  The recommended way to solve this problem is use the assembler to insert
>  the binary data into a normal section and the output an arm object file,
>  like this:
>
>    % cat foo.s
>
>         .data
>     label_at_start_of_binary:
>         .incbin "data"
>
>    % arm-elf-gas foo.s -o foo.o
>    % arm-elf-ld .... foo.o ....

This method is certainly more general than the objcopy method. I can
understand that a non-ARM object file with a text section is rather
nonsensical, but it seems to me that the linker should be able to deal
with a non-ARM object file if it only contains a data section, as is
the case with the output of objcopy -Ibinary -Oelf. Are you arguing
that the above shouldn't work, or that it doesn't work at the moment
due to technical limitations?

Thanks,
Shaun