Re: portable method to add a new output section?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 11:38:21AM -0800, Gary Funck wrote:
> Question: what does it mean when a section is marked
> as ollocatable?  I notice that the DWARF sections are
> are displayed by objdump as "CONTENTS, READONLY, DEBUGGING".
> but not ALLOC.  Does this mean that the DWARF sections
> (and their data) appear in the executable, but that the
> data will not be loaded into the load image when the
> program is run?

Yes.

I recommend you use readelf instead of objdump for this sort of
thing.  That way, the flags you see are defined by the ELF gABI and
there's a concrete and standard reference you can use to understand
what's going on; BFD's abstractions sometimes get in the way.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery